Last Saturday, the NSK teams competition took place at our own track. About 270 athletes from eight other student cities came over to compete, and with beautiful late summer weather, it was going to be a great day.
The day started with the flag parade in which each team was presented. Afterwards, the first athletic event, being the 4x100m relay, could start. Here, both the men’s team and women’s team managed to win their heat in a great time. This day, it was all about ranking, meaning that Team Eindhoven needed to end up in a high position within the events, so to earn the most points for the team. Some of the highlights (there are too many to mention them all):
- On the 3000 meters, Eline and Amber ran a personal best, coming in 2nd and 4th
- After showing his pole vault skills (3.10m), technical athlete Jim took 10 points with his second place in the javelin, throwing 45.94m.
- Bente jumped a personal best of 1.55m in the high jump, therefore taking 5 points for the team.
- The men’s team won a lot of points on the long distances: Tom, Finn and new member Matthijs ran a PB on the 5000 meters, Jens won the 800 meters and William came very close to his PB on that same distance as well.
- Silke won both the 400m hurdles and 800 meters for the women’s team, taking 20 points for the team.
- Long jumpers Maria and Filip had a good first competition for Asterix.
- Both the women’s team and the men’s team were able to win the Swedish relay. This was partly due to the fact that we had lined up a number of very strong sprinters here: Filip, Niels, Jens and Bjorn for the men’s team, and Maaike, Justine, Silke and Maureen for the women’s team. Of course, all the screaming and support along the sidelines also contributed to this.
All results can be found here: https://www.atletiek.nu/wedstrijd/uitslagen/33281/
When all the events were finished, everybody waited anxiously for the results. The fact that committee member Rebecca indicated that the future looked bright however, promised a lot of good. During the award ceremony it was revealed that chairman Finn could hand out gold medals to both the women’s team and the men’s team! Team Eindhoven therefore, also took the overall win!
This beautiful win could be celebrated after the delicious curry for 280 people, during the first NSK (outdoor) party after a very long time. It was nice that a lot of other student’ associations stayed and by using ‘Testen voor Toegang’, we managed to make a very nice party out of it. Afterwards, a lot of Asterix’ members had offered a place to sleep for athletes from other associations. It seems that some even got pancakes for breakfast the next morning.
We would like to thank the committee for their hard work, all the volunteers and Asterix’ members for helping out where needed and the participants for their performances. Let’s hope we can do just as well next year 😊
By: Lianne Daan